London Lamar, Policy Associate
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
THE GOP’S REPEAL OF THE AFFORDABLE CARE ACT IS A DEATH SENTENCE
FOR POOR & WORKING CLASS FAMILIES!
“The GOP has made it painfully clear that unless you are rich in America – your life and the life of your families means nothing,” London Lamar, Policy Associate of reproductive justice organization SisterReach.”
(MEMPHIS, May 4, 2017) The passage of the American Healthcare Act (AHCA) by the House GOP today repeals core elements of the ACA, commonly known as ObamaCare, including its subsidies to assist low income people access coverage, Medicaid expansions, coverage for pre-existing conditions, and tax mandates for people to access coverage. Our human right to affordable and accessible health care coverage has been violated.
“The passage of the AHCA is an attempt to circumvent reproductive health coverage for women and will impact our country’s most vulnerable populations most of all. Under the amendment, clinics like Planned Parenthood, which offers vital services to women like mammograms and gynecological exams, would no longer be able to offer those services to our poorest community members for free. Victims of sexual assault will lose coverage following an attack which is another blow to Memphis women seeing that we still have not tested rape kits dating back to the mid-seventies,” states London Lamar, Policy Associate at SisterReach. “The GOP and their supporters have made it painfully clear that unless you are rich in America – your life and the life of your families mean nothing,” Lamar continues.
The impact of the American Health Care Act (TrumpCare) would:
- Bar Medicaid enrollees from using their coverage at Planned Parenthood.
- Give states the option to allow insurance companies to drop coverage of maternity care and other Essential Health Benefits, such as hospitalizations, prescription drugs, and mental health services.
- Give states the option to allow insurance companies to charge higher premiums to people with pre-existing conditions, such as women who have had babies through C-section deliveries.
- Cause at least 24 million people to lose their health insurance.
- Allow states to do away with caps on annual and lifetime spending limits.
- Cut money from Medicaid, Medicare and other health programs to finance a huge tax cut for wealthy individuals.
The bill will move on to the Senate for a vote. SisterReach encourages all people who value the right to health care coverage to call and demand that Tennessee Senators Lamar Alexander and Bob Corker vote against the American Health Care Act.
SisterReach, founded October 2011, is a Memphis, TN based grassroots 501(c)3 non-profit supporting the reproductive autonomy of women and girls of color, poor women, rural women and their families through the framework of Reproductive Justice. Our mission is to empower women and girls to lead healthy lives, raise healthy families and live in healthy communities.