The Voter Engagement Intern will work under the direction of the Voter Engagement Organizer and in collaboration with other SisterReach interns and volunteers to aid in forwarding the organization’s mission of empowering, organizing and mobilizing women, girls and community members most marginalized in communities around reproductive and sexual health and rights through the human rights framework of Reproductive Justice (RJ).
The Voter Engagement Intern position is for a disciplined and passionate individual with an interest in community organizing, civic engagement and leadership development. The Voter Engagement Intern will work under the direction of the Voter Engagement Organizer. This position is extremely hands-on and the intern will be responsible for assisting the Voter Engagement Organizer in various logistical, coordination, and community engagement efforts. The Voter Engagement Intern will occasionally assist across multiple departments including interfaith outreach, community engagement, and event coordination.
The successful applicant will have an academic background in social justice, women’s rights and/or Reproductive Health, Rights and Justice. The applicant will be expected to demonstrate excellent verbal and writing skills as well as competency in team-building. The Voter Engagement Intern will work in a positive environment and learn from a wide array of experiences. The applicant will represent the interests of SisterReach and our constituents in various settings through coalitions, partnerships and alliances.
Under the direction of the Voter Engagement Organizer, the Voter Engagement Intern is responsible for:
- General administrative aid.
- Participating in SisterReach canvassing efforts.
- Engaging in cultural competency program.
- Supporting the local, state, regional, and national policy and voter education activities of SisterReach.
- Assisting in the planning of all SisterReach programming.
- Completing Reproductive Justice 101 training.
- Representing SisterReach in various community engagement opportunities.
Skills and Abilities:
- Concise, disciplined, intuitive.
- Belief in and commitment to SisterReach’s mission and values goals of building a powerful reproductive justice movement for residents in Memphis and throughout the state of TN;
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with a variety of individuals without bias or stigma.
- Proficient typist.
- Ability to work in high impact work environment and be nimble to quick shifts in work or immediate deliverables.
- Background in African & African American Studies and/or Women’s Studies.
- Working knowledge of reproductive justice, health and rights.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Access to reliable transportation with a minimum of liability insurance coverage.
- Support and demonstrate an attitude of dignity and respect for all staff and partners of organization and our partners.
- High School Diploma or GED is minimum requirement.
The Voter Engagement Intern must possess a driver’s license and have access to reliable transportation. This position will require travel on an as needed basis. Extensive travel within Shelby County should be expected as well as statewide and nationally to perform the duties required of the position.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, talk, and hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands and fingers to handle, or feel and reach. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
Staff must complete a basic background check. SisterReach will absorb any fees associated with the background check.
This is a contract position beginning May 15th through July 28th, 2017.
Women of color, gender non-conforming people, and people with disabilities strongly encouraged to apply. SisterReach is an EOE.
This internship is for 6 hours course credit.
Please send a cover letter, resume and 2 references
Email (preferred): email@example.com (Only emails about this position. No calls please.)
Or by mail: Attn: Patricia Jones, Voter Engagement Organizer
SisterReach 1750 Madison Avenue, Suite 600 Memphis, Tennessee 38104 Please call (901) 830-0104 with any questions.